DOG ADOPTION GUIDELINES
To ensure the best possible match between adopter and pet, we ask that you read and understand the information below regarding our adoption policies and procedures.
You will be asked to sign a legal contract when adopting your pet and you must pay an adoption fee/donation (not tax deductible, sorry). The fees go directly to the rescue group to help pay for medical expenses, spaying/neutering, obedience training and boarding.
Please keep in mind that we will not place a dog in a home if any of the following conditions are present:
- The prospective home currently has an unspayed or unneutered pet.
- The dog will be left outside when no one is at home.
- The dog is intended as a gift.
- Puppies less than 6 months old will not be placed in homes with children under 4.
- Puppies less than 6 months old will not be placed in homes where no one is home during the day.
Once placed, we reserve the right to check on the dog at any time to ensure its wellbeing. If any condition of the Adoption Contract has been violated, or if it is the opinion of the SPCA that the environment is unsafe, we reserve the right to remove the dog from the home.
If at any time you cannot keep the dog, you must return it to the SPCA of Northern Virginia and not to another individual or shelter.
It is important that you consider the following:
- Size - if you rent, does your apartment or home have stated size limits? (Landlord approval is required). Have you considered what size of dog best suits your available space and lifestyle?
- Age - Dogs of different ages have very different requirements, make sure you know what these are (i.e. puppies and older dogs require extra care and attention).
- Temperament - Does the dog have a temperament that would be suitable for your family?
- Compatibility - Is the dog recommended for children and other pets?
- Energy level - Does your schedule allow for providing the amount of exercise recommended?
- Special needs - Will this dog require special care?
The purpose of the application is to match the dog's needs with the appropriate environment.
In-home interview to ensure that you can provide a safe, loving environment.
- All members of the household are required to attend.
- Care and behavioral training principles will be discussed.
Pre-adoption Trial Contract
A two-week trial placement designed to test for compatibility.
- Sign two-week trial placement contract (may be terminated by either party during this period).
Sign Final Adoption Contract
- Receive medical records.
- Fee/donation of $325 per dog is due. This amount is NOT tax deductible. The adopter is receiving goods and services (dog and veterinary services) that are equal to or greater than the amount paid. Under these circumstances, the amount paid does not qualify as a charitable donation.
SPCA of Northern Virginia does not make our Dog Adoption Application available online. We provide you with the application only after we have discussed our adoption guidelines with you, you have met the dog(s)/puppy(s) you are interested in, and we both feel the adoption is a good potential match.