Who We Are
The Mission of SPCA of Northern Virginia is to end the abuse and
homelessness of cats and dogs.
The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals of Northern Virginia (SPCA NOVA) is a volunteer-based, non-profit, private organization. We were established by local citizens to rescue domestic cats and dogs from cruelty, neglect and abandonment. We rescue hundreds of cats and dogs each year. SPCA NOVA is a "no-kill" organization that does not euthanize healthy, adoptable cats and dogs. We don't have a traditional shelter. Our cats live in foster homes and our dogs live either in foster homes or a private kennel until adopted.
Rescue and Rehabilitation
- We rescue and rehabilitate cats and dogs that are in the greatest need of help, specifically those animals that are victims of cruelty, neglect or abandonment.
- When space is available, we take in cats and dogs from overcrowded local shelters.
- We provide veterinary care, rehabilitation, and professional dog training to animals in our care.
- Our experienced volunteers respond to citizen requests for help with cats and dogs in need.
What We Do
- We seek loving homes for our cats and dogs and work diligently to find life-long matches between our cats and dogs and their adoptive families.
- We host regular adoption fairs for dogs. We also arrange cat visits at Pet Valu stores in Purcellville and Falls Church and in our cat foster homes, as well as hold periodic cat adoption fairs.
- Our Spay, Inc. program provides discounted spay/neuter referrals for dogs, cats, and rabbits in Northern Virginia through a network of participating animal hospitals. We also partner with other local and regional spay/neuter programs to help provide access to affordable spay/neuter services.
- We help anyone who needs assistance – no income or residency requirements – and even provide lower-cost or free spay/neuter assistance to low-income residents.
- We educate government and community officials about the benefits of spaying/ neutering pets.
Community Outreach and Education
- We provide information on our website, in our electronic and print newsletters, and through other resources about animal health and behavior, as well as the positive impact companion animals have on a person’s quality of life.
- We sponsor and participate in community events, such as adoption fairs, pet fiestas, and dog washes.
- We offer educational programs to local schools to teach children how to be safe around animals and be responsible pet guardians.
How You Can Help
Please join our volunteers to help end animal cruelty, neglect, and abandonment in our community. You can volunteer in big or small ways.
Be a Foster Parent
Please consider opening your heart and home to a rescued cat or dog.
- SPCA NOVA provides training and support to all foster parents and pays for all veterinary care. In return, you provide a safe and loving temporary haven to our cats and dogs while we work to find each one a loving, permanent home.
- We need foster homes year round, but we also need extra help during “kitten season” (spring and summer).
- For More information, click here
Other Volunteer Opportunities
- If you like interacting with animals and people, volunteer at our community events and adoption fairs.
- If you are detail-oriented, help us organize events, write grants, or perform other administrative tasks.
- If you have marketing or communications skills, help us spread our message and raise funds.
- If you want to help but don’t know how, contact us and we’ll find a place for your talents.
- For More information, click here
Know of an Animal in Need?
Keep your eyes and ears open. If an animal in your neighborhood needs help – please do something!
- If you are concerned about sick or injured wildlife, contact a local wildlife rescue organization or county animal control official.
- Contact us for information, advice, or assistance with concerns about cats and dogs. Our volunteers can help you find a solution.
- Recommend our Spay, Inc. program to anyone who needs spay/neuter assistance for cats, dogs, and rabbits.
We need funding and supplies - no donation is too small and they are tax-deductible.
- SPCA NOVA raises funds through private donations, adoption fees, membership dues and fund-raising events.
- We need food, carriers, crates, kitty-condos, toys, towels, blankets and much more. For More information, click here
- We also have a car donation program. For More information, click here.
- For More information on donating, click here
Working together, we can make a difference!